Sunday, July 15, 2012

Product Review: Gardein Madarin Orange Crispy Chicken

In giving some thought to my last post in which I stated that I felt like I was missing something since adopted a vegan diet, I supposed that maybe it was the feel and savoriness of meat.  So I went in search of a meat replacement product to try and ease my transition from omnivore to herbivore.  What I found in the freezer of my local grocery story was Gardein Mandarin Orange Crispy Chicken. I remember reading a favorable review of Gardein products somewhere, so I thought that I would give it a shot. 

I prepared the not-chicken as per the directions on the package by frying it a pan with just a bit of oil until it was warmed through and crispy. I tossed it with the enclosed sauce packet and served it over some stir-fried vegetables and a bit of soy sauce.

It was delicious.  My oldest daughter, who is twenty and trying to eliminate animal protein from her diet as well, repeatedly denied that this could not be real chicken.  There was a sufficient amount to feed me, my daughter and my eleven year old son, who absolutely could not believe that this was not chicken either. 

So, while I prefer to eat not eat heavily processed foods, I think that when I get a specific craving, I will try and satisfy it with a meat replacement product every so often to avoid a repeat of what happened with the pizza.  Plus it was nice to have a meal that did not involve three hours of chopping vegetables.

Definitely, a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment